5.16.2012

Overcoming Virtual Death

Giant evolved Centaur/Fallout Wiki
While it takes my little brother an hour and a half to complete a difficult mission on Fallout: New Vegas, it takes me at least three. A majority of the time I am sneaking around corners, constantly checking my V.A.T.S. (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System) for nearby enemies and doing just about everything to prevent a monster popping out and killing me.

Ever since I started playing video games, I've used this crazy tactic to try and avoid the scariest enemies. When a monster like the giant evolved centaur or yao guai appear on my screen, I head for the hills. And if I happen to spot the foe too late it usually ends with my death and very real whimpers and screams. (I know, I'm a baby.)

With less time on my hands, this method makes it nearly impossible for me to finish a game. To get rid of my fear of an in-game death, I've found a new iPhone game to break me of my ridiculous habit.


For $3.99, I've been training myself with Square Enix's new iPhone game, 774 Deaths. 

Once you tap start, it begins. However, don't expect Square Enix to hold your hand in this game. There is no tutorial level, instructions on controls or even a story line. In this game, Square Enix tests your knowledge of controls on the iPhone and your ability to quickly solve difficult puzzles. 

You begin in a room with two grey characters - a man and a woman. By walking up to one of the figures, you can change your character. The following room is where the real fun begins. The room has four tombstones, another grey man - a character change - and the door to the next room that is locked. In order to progress, you must complete two of the four games.

In each game there is a different layout with different obstacles and different controls, which makes the game fairly challenging. The first game was simple. You use the arrows to move and the circle to jump on stones to get across the room. Then Game 2 threw you into a room where you must tilt your iPhone and avoid the blade-lined walls. In the third game, your character automatically runs and you must tap the screen to jump. For the fourth game, you must guide your character through a maze by tilting your iPhone before the time runs out.  

Game 1 - 12 Deaths
Game 2 - 17 Deaths
Game 3 - 3 Deaths
Game 4 - 1 Death

The reason this game is so effective in teaching me to accept the occasional pixelated death is because, as you may have guessed from the title, you die a lot. The first four rooms took me a total of 33 deaths to complete - which isn't too bad. Some of the later games have taken me well over 40 deaths to complete.

As frustrating as this game can be, it's also really fun. This games was worth the money, and it's a great game to play while I'm waiting in line at a store or while I'm waiting for a match in a game lobby. So, if you get an iTunes gift card or are willing to spend the $3.99, I recommend you check this game out. What's your favorite iPhone game?

Yours truly,
HavokRose

No comments:

Post a Comment